Friday, November 14, 2008

Cast of Characters

Family... it's all about family... Our greatest joy, our greatest pain. Since you'll be sharing my life and my musings, I thought it only fair that I introduce you to the cast of characters in my world.

Chris - my 23 year old son. Born exactly a week after my 20th birthday. Chris epitomizes the term "individual"! He is the explorer of all, the extremist, and the non-conformist. Chris is part of a group called "Straight Edge". For those who don't know, it's sort of a sub-culture here in Boise. The straight edge "kids" swear off drinking, smoking, drugs and gratuitous sex (pretty cool, eh?) They typically have tattoos, piercings, etc. and a lot of them are involved in activities like going to independent music shows, bike racing (Chris does cyclo-cross), anything that keeps them active! Chris isn't into the piercings, but has at last count 13 tattoos. Some beautiful artwork I must say! He has that sweet innocent look, so the tatts can be a bit of a surprise!

Kayte - my 21 year old daughter. 21 going on 40! Kayte is the mature, responsible, shy one. Please don't ask where that came from! She works with me as my assistant, and has done so for the past three years. Kayte and I are so very different that I often wonder if I got the wrong kid at the hospital! (kidding) She's told often enough that she looks like her mom that there isn't any doubt she's mine. I admire her beyond belief... and at times we annoy each other beyond belief! She and I spend a lot of off work time together, too... dinner, movies, hiking with her dog, etc. It's a miracle we don't get tired of each other, but it's great when either of us just wants some company that we can call each other up and figure out something to do!

Those are my kids... my beautiful individuals... my prides and my joys. I am in awe at the wonder that is these two human beings and I thank God for them.

The rest of the cast:

Dad - Dad will be 73 soon. My dad suffers from advanced Parkinson's Disease and dementia. Not Alzheimer's, but a dementia much more quickly advancing. The combination is called either Lewy Body Disease or Parkinson's Plus. From just a bit of difficulty walking to needing to be spoon fed and unable to stand took about three years. I admire my dad for the father he was, and love him beyond belief. My heart breaks for losing the strong, athletic man he was - but there is a special blessing in the caring for him.

Stepmom - She and my dad have been married about 30 years. I do consider her my mom in some respects, as my mom died 33 years ago, but since I'll be writing about both, I'd better differentiate. Stepmom is a loud, annoying (at times) German woman (without the accent) who has a heart full of love.

Mom - My mom was my champion when she was alive! She died of colon cancer at age 42, when I was 10 years old. I grieve for her still today - and I grieve for me... for what I missed. When all I wanted to do was read, she supported me... when my brothers picked on me for sucking my thumb, she made them leave me alone. She was the one in my life I connected with, and when she died I felt all alone in the world. Mom inspired me to start writing when I needed an outlet for my pain and felt I had no one to share it with... Mom was German as well, and boy did she ever have the thick accent! When she got mad at us kids, the accent got so bad we couldn't understand a word she said, and when she got really mad we couldn't understand cuz all English was forgotten! I remember asking my German teacher in high school what "ahgotnomal" meant... she gave me a blank look... years later I realized Mom was saying "Ach Gott, noch mal!" English equivalent: "Oh God! Not again!"

Inge, Detlev, Mike and Terri - Sisters and brothers. Will share with you later about the names! Inge, Detlev and Mike are older, Terri is two years younger. Inge lives in Germany, Detlev in Tacoma, WA, Mike in Georgia and Terri in Shelton, WA. We're kinda weird in that we truly love and like each other! We're lacking in the more typical adult sibling conflicts!

Sean and Jeff - Stepbrothers, who are actually brothers - from Stepmom's first marriage, but adopted by my dad when their jerk of a bio-father decided being a dad wasn't in his game plan. Sean lives in North Carolina, and Jeff here in Meridian, Idaho.

You'll meet more of the people in my world, but figured the immediate family was a good place to start.

No comments: